Tuesday, November 25, 2003

What is the role of government? What should government provide to citizens? I'm getting into a civil responsibility kick. I'm frustrated that Republicans and Democrats are presented as viable, opposing alternatives to governance. The only things that strongly separate our political parties are the fringe issues like abortion and gun controls. But I have to believe (and I hope you're with me) that most Americans hold opposing values on these issues and struggle to know what's best. I feel like we are being swallowed by consumer capitalism, government by corporation, and as a sideline we have electioneering and scandal-mongering. The politicomedia complex distracting us from the fact that only corporate lobbyists can buy access to government. What ever happened to representation?

No comments: