Monday, June 21, 2004


Jarret Keene asked me to review his book Monster Fashion today via email and with some suspicion I agreed. I had emailed him the post below about a week ago. He seemed entirely genuine in his request, no question of that, I'm just surprised that someone would seek my opinion on their work. I've had a friend ask me to read her boyfriend's book before (which was great), but I've never had a stranger ask me.
Jarret is not entirely strange to me even though we've never met.
I saw him read last month in downtown Las Vegas. His wife and an another woman were there with him and they sat near me. If I had more time to sketch they might have made it into my drawing of the scene.
Maybe not. I draw what I see, and looking so intently always feels unseemly. If I'd been feeling particularly outgoing, introduced myself and asked permission it could have been a much more charming drawing.
So I went to order his book from Amazon.com and found a broad consensus that this is good stuff. The reviewers appear to be a coterie of poets and friends showing their support for Jarret's work. They are all enthusiastic and I look forward to adding my two cents. I feel challenged to speak intelligently. I shall do my best.

You can listen to Jarret read some of Monster Fashion over at Mperia.

No comments: