Sunday, July 25, 2004

Carl
Carl died. He was hit by a car while on his bicycle. Buried yesterday.
Growing up he was more than a little scary. He was fifteen or twenty years older than us and had a very limited vocabulary. A child-man.
On our bikes raceing in opposite directions we teased and provoked him by yelling, "Hee Haw!" It was terrifying and exhilarating being chased by him. He always yelled back at us, "Hee Haw, Hee Haw!"
After coming back from college I realized he'd been visiting my parents for years. As often as everyday he'd come by to cool off from biking around and have a coke or whatever my folks had for him.
Last time I saw him he was visiting my parents house as usual. My nephews playing near his feet.
I didn't know what to think of him as a boy and now I feel so sorry that his life was cut short. I wonder what he thought of us back then, and what he thinks of us now.


No comments: