Saturday, July 17, 2004

Encounter with racism.
I'm just going to relate this as it happened...
Walking to the car after watching Van Helsing Saturday night I see a woman get out of the passenger side of a truck and yell, "That was our spot, you black bitch!"
Astonished, I meet my brother's bewildered eyes, both of us thinking, "Hey crazy person, what does black have to do with it?"
Perhaps because she's used to racism, somehow accustomed to ignorant hate, the spot 'thief' calmly asks, "Now you've called me a black bitch, you think I'm gonna move?"
"That's what you are! A black bitch!", says crazy lady.
"Maybe so..." she says as she walks away.
My brother and I are already in the car discussing how disturbing it is that racism exits when we hear the final rant, in a manic voice, filled with self satisfaction and fear, "Nigger!"
I could go on and on about how this encounter bothers me. Instead I hope it speaks for itself and I'll try to do something about it.

No comments: