Tuesday, March 04, 2008

YAF 150 at 150: Jack Travis, FAIA

(listen here) The American Institute of Architects honors committed, exceptional members who contribute significantly to the profession and the community by making them a Fellow.

I was interested in interviewing Jack because he grew up in Las Vegas (I'm a native) and because of his serious commitment to mentorship. I was introduced to Jack through Bob Fielden, at my first podcast interview. When I asked Jack to help me with the interview he agreed right away.

In the interview I learn about his upbringing in Las Vegas, how his family made the sacrifices necessary to put Jack through parochial schools, and how racism impacted the structure of Las Vegas in the 60s. Jack talks about a series of important mentors throughout his career, people who continue to be a part of his life, and how he has in turn mentored many. He has even created a foundation for that purpose. Also, he tells me that he has struggled with sketching early on. He explained that designers need to communicate their ideas quickly to clients and sketching is critical.

Take home message: "be bold and humble, seek out the mentors you need and ask for their help."

This is my second podcast and counting. I hope I'm getting better.

You can subscribe to the 150 at 150
podcast at: XML or iTunes.

You can find out more about Jack Travis in these articles from AIA.org:
Jack Travis, FAIA, on Black Identity, Face of the AIA, Jack Travis, 25 Steps to Diversity, and Patrons and Partonage or at JackTravis.com.

Paul Cline, AIA is an architect and builder in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is a member of the Young Architects Forum Advisory Committee and writes on issues of community, sustainability, and innovation in design and construction.

No comments: