Tuesday, August 05, 2003

I try to keep a notebook of terms and people I come across and don't know anything about. It’s a bit like a personal dictionary. It turns out to be a document recording my ignorance. Albeit, a partial record. So I'm always looking for good sources of biographical material on the net. I found a good source for authors at the BBC while looking for Zadie Smith.

She shows up in Episode One of The Whole Wide World talking about her multicultural origins and their expression in the new globalism. After listening to her I got recommended by Amazon to buy her book White Teeth and that same day I came across an article in Newsweek called A Slacker's Delight which mentioned White Teeth. So I caved. I bought White Teeth (and Autograph Man, for good measure.)

Its funny, this book was a best seller, won all kinds of first-book awards, and was broadly marketed in 2000 and I never heard of it until a few weeks ago when I get this hat-trick of late stage documentary marketing. I had to buy it. Synchronicity and all. I want to write, "It’s a good book" and be done with it. I enjoyed reading it and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in updating their views on, so called, post-colonialism.

No comments: