Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Martin Luther King, Jr.
I was happy to run across some reminders of Martin Luther King, Jr. today. The first showed up on This American Life, the second at the Indian Express, and the thrid over at the BBC.
At TAL’s Kid Logic Episode a father is explaining to his very young daughter first about the Christmas holiday and the teachings of Jesus and later about Martin Luther King Day and King’s teachings. (Listen to it here. Move slider to about 13:05 mark.)

Checking the news I bumped into the small quote, “In 1965, Martin Luther King recalled that during his visit to India he was introduced by a principal of a Dalit school in Kerala as an ‘untouchable from the United States.’” This led me to Pamela Philipose's cloumn Dream On, for the Future. She mentions that tomorrow is the anniversary of King’s “I have a dream" speech (listen to it here) and tries to convince her readers that the dream is for everyone. Unfortunately, the only response to the article says, "I say King belongs to Negros only.....not us Indians...." Its sure to me that we have a long way to go.

The next article I saw was more pessimistic. In An unfulfilled dream, T Rasul Murray, a witness and organizer of the March on Washington finds that little has changed in 40 years.

It seems to me that King will always be a leader to emulate. That in fact injustice should be opposed with love. When more people look to solutions that include self-sacrifice and forgivness we will have real hope for the future.

No comments: